Once you have obtained your green card, it is possible to apply for United States citizenship. Having an immigration attorney South FL represent you during this process ensures that everything proceeds smoothly and that all the required documentation is filed correctly.
How can you be eligible?
Of course there are a number of restrictions when it comes to being eligible to file for naturalization. It is important to consider these following factors:
- The applicant needs to be a lawful permanent resident of the United States for a minimum of five years. If the person is married to a United States citizen, that lowers the requirement to three years. There are several exceptions to this requirement, speaking to a qualified immigration lawyer South FL will help you understand these exceptions
- For at least 50% of the required residency period, the applicant has to be physically present in the United States
- The applicant has to take an oath of loyalty to the United States
- The person must be a person of good moral character
- Must be able to read, write, and speak simple words and phrases in the English language
- Pass a test in United States government and United States history
It is possible for United States citizens to sponsor the following for lawful permanent residence in the United States: brothers and sisters, sons, daughters, parents, and spouses.
Other ways to gain citizenship
It is also possible to obtain United States citizenship while the person is a minor or through birth. This is done through United States citizens who are parents or grandparents. This is referred to as United States citizenship through derivation or acquisition.
Why it is important to work with qualified legal representation
We understand that many immigrants come to the United States every year to become United States citizens. We understand that we have to apply the same diligence and care that the applicant takes in the previous steps of the immigration process. Because we understand that this is such an important step, we provide personal and immediate assistance to all our clients to ensure that a naturalization attorney answers any and all questions that you may have.
We also work proactively. This ensures that someone attempting to naturalize does not run the risk of being removed from the country during that time. We have years of experience in accompanying applicants to their interviews, passing the naturalization test, and completing N-400 applications. Work with a qualified immigration attorney South FL to finalize the process.