When someone receives his or her green card, it is often referred to as a conditional permanent residence. This means that the person who holds the green card has certain responsibilities, protections, and rights that are close to those held by United States citizens. Especially for those who have conditions on their green card, it is important to talk to an immigration lawyer Connecticut. There is more to the ‘conditional’ part than just having to file income tax returns and following laws, the conditional green card will expire in two years.
It is possible to lose your green card and your permanent resident status if you do not petition to remove the conditions placed upon the green card at least three months (90 days) before the conditional residence expires. It is possible to remove these conditions in two different ways:
- Enter the country through entrepreneurship – file form I-829
- Enter the country through marriage – file form I-751
Removing conditions through entrepreneurship
If you operate and own a business in the US, it is possible to have conditions on the green card removed. It will be necessary to provide the following documentation along with the I-829 form
- Payroll documents and other relevant employee tax documents
- Invoices, bank statements, contracts, or business licenses
- Audited financial statements for your business
- Federal and state tax returns
Removing conditions through marriage
By marrying an unconditional permanent resident or United States citizen, it is possible to have conditions on the green card removed. It is necessary to provide the following proof to establish that you are in fact legally married:
- Joint utility bills
- Insurance policies in each other’s name
- Joint tax returns
- Financial records demonstrating joint ownership of assets or debts
- Lease/mortgage documents that show proof of joint property ownership or occupancy
- A child’s birth certificate
- Sworn affidavits to the sincerity of your relationship by someone who has known you since the marriage began
It is possible to waive these requirements if the person was the victim of domestic violence or extreme cruelty at the hands of his or her spouse, suffered the death of their spouse, or got a divorce.
Can I just renew the conditional green card?
It is not possible to renew the conditional green card. In fact, in the event that the conditions are not removed, the green card and all its associated rights will be terminated. Another reason it is imperative to take this process seriously and get help from an immigration law office CT.
Do not be overwhelmed
While it is possible to fill out these forms yourself, it is important to recognize that both forms are going to require a lot of paperwork that needs to be properly labeled. They also need to be filed correctly, because any possible mistakes could delay the process and put you in violation. Considering this is a time-intensive process, you would be wise to hire an immigration lawyer CT who can help you through the process. Call us today to find out more about our fast process and get a free case evaluation.